Thursday, June 3, 2010

Why try to change me now - Perfect smoky jazz bar song

Currently working on my thesis data collection - trying to code hundreds of respondents' results for SPSS is moving slower than I want, esp since I am down with the flu. Need to be extra careful while compiling the results, to make sure tt I am getting everything done right - June is going to be one crazy month, need to get everything done by then - thesis (last couple of chapters as well as going through everything once... sup is overseas and I've not heard from her since late April when I passed her my chapter before grading madness so I'm a little concerned there... and the ICA panel presentation... still a work in progress, I've so much ideas and information but I need to synthesize it and make my points coherent)... and all in the month of June. Sup is overseas having a well deserved break so am hoping to cover as much ground as possible this week.

Was working in the living room as it is really hot in my room and House MD was on, wasn't paying attention to the telly as I was working but this song came on and my ears were piqued (if that is possible) and I watched the end of the episode, about some psychopath patient but I wasn't really paying attention - I've July and August to watch tv and stuff, but I totally need to focus 1000% (not a typo) on my thesis and pre conference prep.

Had a very... eventful long weekend last week, settled most social engagements as I know that my June is gonna be work work work, except for Father's Day dinner and grandma's medical appointments and procedures.


Last week was a packed week, besides recovering from the wedding on the previous Sunday; over the course of last week, I met my peeps for Laura Calder's dinner and cooking demo; dinner which was long overdue with B; walking over to check out The Helix and MBS; Tanjong Beach Club opening (was rained in but I wasn't put down by it, actually wanted to just go dancing in the rain, haha.) which was overall alright, more piqued by dude who tried to pick me up with his sparkling. Saw q a few familiar faces from school and friends at TBC! And A's bday to end the week, think her bday is officially my final organising of bday gatherings for sometime! :) It was a lovely intimate and fun-filled brunch with the gals. :))

But anyway, yes, I like this song - q poignant lyrics and I like how the piano fits in, it actually sounds like it can be on the Glee songlist. Fiona Apple's vocals lends a sense of vunerability and a subtle sense of rawness of emotion to the song. Which fits in the theme of remorse and regret. Old Blue Eyes also covered this song and Cy Coleman co-wrote this song, which kinda explains the piano bit. Can just imagine this in a smoky jazz bar... kicking back with a red/scotch/caiprinha in hand. Ahhh.... that is the life... but for now... back to SPSS coding.


Why try to change me now - Fiona Apple cover

I'm sentimental
So I walk in the rain
I've got some habits
Even I can't explain
I go to the corner
And I end up in Spain
Why try to change me now

I sit and daydream
I've got daydreams galore
Cigarette ashes
There they go on the floor
I go away weekends
Leave my keys in the door
Why try to change me now

Why can't I be more conventional
People talk
And they stare
So I try
But that can't be
Cuz I can't see
My strange little world
Go passing me by

So let people wonder
Let 'em laugh
Let 'em frown
You know I'll love you
Till the moon's upside down
Don't you remember
I was always your clown
Why try to change me now

Don't you remember
I was always your clown
Why try to change me
Why try to change me now

No comments: