Thursday, September 3, 2009

New sem :: H1N1 :: Hello September! ::

Can't believe how quickly August zipped past. Was busy adjusting to the new semester, am doing not one but two new modules, which in turn brings about two new sets of readings, lectures, etc., but am totally loving and relishing the experience so far! Hopefully my enthusiasm will rub off on the students. ha. Am working with great colleagues as well, for which I am grateful for. On and forward! :)

Was down with H1N1 last week, on the week when my tutorials began, was really bummed out as I was looking forward to the classes and meeting the students. Realised that quite a few of them are ex students from NM2219. Did not tell most people as I did not want them to freak out or get too worried, which I know they will, from the press reports thus far. Informed the school, colleagues and students in my class. Had to see the doc twice as the meds from the first time weren't working well. But I was kinda glad to have a very matter of fact and kinda blase doc who informed me that "9 out of 10 patients are down with H1N1 these days", which made me wonder about the dip in H1N1 cases that is reported in the papers these days. I think that most of us are opting out of the swabs because it is a tad costly and we would rather take our meds and recover.

H1N1 is like your worst flu experience, multiplied by at least 10 because of the temperature spikes, and I kept procastinating going to the doc's coz I hate going to the doc's and I was too weak to even get out of bed, much less go the doc's. Felt really faint from the fever and flu, could not feel my extremities at some point as well. Another friend came down with too,felt bad as I might have passed it to her when I just came down with it. :( But my colleagues came through, helped me take over my classes and my HoD was nothing but supportive and encouraging, which I appreciated. Hopefully the worst is over and I'm just left with a cough and an occassional sneeze.

Met up with L for her church's anniversary on Sunday, heard a good message and was introduced to her friends. A really nice bunch or guys and gals, too bad I could not join them for lunch, nvm will meet her again at A's wedding later this month! Met C n S for brunch at our little enclave to discuss C's bday plans and to do our girly chat, felt good to be out after being sick and stuck at home most of the week! :)


Had my first tutorials for NM3224. Was looking forward to it though the day got off to a bad start when I had an encounter with this German language tutor/lecturer whose class was before mine and when I opened the door to remind her, flipped at me before I could get a word out. Think my students waiting outside the classroom were shocked. Honestly I was as well but I know I had to remain calm and composed. When the class ended and I went in to set up, she had the gall to ask me in a superior tone "Is this way you treat your colleagues?" That was when it was time for me to step up and tell her off. "Is this the way you treat your colleagues?" I replied, giving her the don't mess with me look. She backed off, made some reason about not erasing the whiteboard and I plainly ignored her as I was setting up and the rest of my students streamed in. It happened that one of the department's student was in her tutorial and we struck up a conversation as I prepared my slides. When she came in again to erase the board which she thought I might be using, I ignored her and was prepared to tell her off firmly if she disrupted my class with anymore of her antics. Was glad it did not have to come to that because I did not want to have to put her down in front of my class. Sigh. I hope this doesn't happen again next week.

Most colleagues and friends are shocked at what happened, one commented that I seem to meet such rude colleagues more frequently than others. Some remembered the incident from last sem as well. I see it as a bummer, definitely, but also a need to learn to assert myself. I am not a pushover and do not take kindly when people take my general niceness for granted. Maybe it's a way to train myself to handle such people in such situations. No point shouting or lowering myself to their level but to try to raise above it and show them in no uncertain terms that I am not a pushover. Grrrr. haha. But despite that, I enjoyed my two hours of back to back tutorials immensely, students were shy but promising! :) I overran but the Chinese language tutor/lecturer was so nice about it, I went up to her to thank her for being understanding before I left. See what happens when people are nice to each other?? haha.

September looks packed and I do hope to get some stuff done. Just arranged for a farewell meal with E before he leaves, will miss him! Nice guy and colleague. Had to re-schedule from last week, as well as meeting with B after work for drinks as I was down with H1N1.

And today's C's birthday!! Can't believe another year's passed, she wants to par-tay this weekend, we shall see how that goes. ;) Happy birthday babe, love ya lots!

In a tone befitting for the par-tay this weekend, my fav song from B.E.P so far. Love the song, less so the mtv because I believe in happening fun, not debaunchery. Getting wasted - not fun at all. ;)



I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
I gotta feeling that tonight’s gonna be a good night
That tonight’s gonna be a good night
That tonight’s gonna be a good good night (x3)
Tonight’s the night night
Let’s spend it up
Go out and smash it
Like Oh My God
Jump off that sofa
Let’s get get OFF
I know that we’ll have a ball
If we get down
And go out
And just loose it all
I feel stressed out
I wanna let it go
Lets go way out spaced out
And loosing all control
Fill up my cup
Mozoltov
Look at her dancing
Just take it off
Lets paint the town
We’ll shut it down
Let’s burn the roof
And then we’ll do it again

Lets Do it (x3)
And live it up
I gotta feeling that tonight’s gonna be a good night
That tonight’s gonna be a good night
That tonight’s gonna be a good good night (x2)
Tonight’s the night
Let’s live it up
I got my money
Lets spend it up

Go out and smash it
Like Oh My God
Jump off that sofa
Lets get get OFF
Fill up my cup (Drink)
Mozolotov (Lahyme)
Look at her dancing (Move it Move it)
Just take it off
Lets paint the town
We’ll shut it down
Lets burn the roof
And then we’ll do it again
Lets do it (x3)
Let’s live it up
Here we come
Here we go
We gotta rock
Easy come
Easy go
Now we on top
Feel the shot
Body rock
Rock it don’t stop
Round and round
Up and down
Around the clock
Monday, Tuesday,
Wednesday, Thursday,
Friday, Saturday,
Saturday and Sunday
Get get get get get
With us you know what we say
Party everyday p-p-p-party
Party everyday
I gotta feeling that tonight gonna be a good night
That tonight's gonna be a good night
That tonight's gonna be a good good night(x2)

No comments: