Friday, July 31, 2009

Let it be. Let it be.

Crazy. Crazy. Crazy. Just about sums up the last two weeks. Crazy stuff at work and thesis. So much on my mind, so much I could grouse about. But I think the Beatles' song which best describes me (according to the Facebook quiz I took this afternoon) kinda sums up my sentiments now. Let it be.

First up, annual review. I know that a lot of friends and even family were wondering if I would end up ranting about the last semester, from emails with caps and exclamation marks from a colleague, threatening emails, to thinly veiled 'advice'. But the review went without a mention about this, mainly from my part. I do not see the point in revisiting some issues, especially since I just want to move on and look forward to my teaching assignments next semester and I'm grateful that my request to be taken off the module went through. :) Anyway, no loss on my side, though I was a little traumatised during the episode and I've turned out stronger and more savvy for it. Am working with two v interesting modules: intercultural comm and culture industries, which have garnered very good ratings, yea! Am looking forward to familiar faces in the LTs come next month.

Homecoming, which I had enjoyed in the past years was also peppered with some behind the scenes stuff. The questions and insinuations made me uncomfortable, even though they weren't targeted at me directly. Some of those who were there could see some of the stuff behind the scenes. My stand on workplace politics in general is to listen if it comes along and not comment on it, esp if you were not directly involved. I do not see the point in adding fuel to fire if it's based on hearsay, esp if it affects another person. I think that rumors and hearsay can take on a life of its own and mutate to a v ugly state, even if it wasn't initated with ill intentions. But I do agree with some observations made at Homecoming that a lot has changed since 2005 and it does make me nostalgic. But change is inevitable I guess and we deal with it in our own ways. So, no more questions abt some stuff during Homecoming, coz my answer will be the same: No comment.

IRB was also driving me nuts, and the irony was that I was applying for an exemption! It irks me when others do not do what they are supposed to do or know what they are supposed to know, that they are more interested in shifting responsibility to others that would come back to them in the end. In the end, the IRB department was much more helpful and precise in what I lacked and what I needed to give them. I spent more all nighters getting the information out ASAP as I felt that I had wasted/lost weeks in the whole silly ding dong mess. Better to roll up my sleeves and sort it out myself.

But on a lighter note, I was glad to see T for her bday... she is looking lovely, with the nice haircut and all! Although she is also a mummy to be, she drove us to satisfy our pork cutlet craving!! haha. Also checked out Ion with her but the poor ventilation put us off as the smell of stale food was lingering. I think that my fav food places at Ion are Provence... love the wassants and curry donut and Watami, a casual Jap dining place. Food is not bad at Watami, prices are reasonable and the service was impeccable... queue was long but I managed to get a seat for my mum and myself just before the crowd came in. Was also glad to meet some of my ICM batch at Homecoming, but the turnout wasn't as good as last year, some did not know about it?! But I left soon after and did not get to linger as I was hitching a ride from T. :)

About my thesis, am glad for the support that my sup has given me. Even though she can be exacting and doesn't mince her words, I appreciate her workstyle and I think she knows tt I'm feeling a lil low these days as well. Ha.

And Mel's wedding on the same week as Homecoming, seemed like a mini Homecoming as there were familiar faces from school who did not manage to make it for the actual Homecoming. Met S, G, A, N, possible familiar face like J who had just came back from Copahagen that very day and still made it for the dinner! Spent the night catching up with S and N, S is as sweet as always, taking food for me, his photos for tt evening were lovely; and N was sharing some of hers as well, and that babe was a brilliant conversationalist - we chatted a lot that night, she is working at Warner Music and totally loving it! The wedding was very Mel, Bollywood flavour, sweet, simple and heartfelt. It was cool to see her hubby, her "Swedish Meatball" do the Singaporean Yum Seng. He even did a gig with the best man, which was not half bad as well! Will totally miss her when she goes over... more incentive to pay Sweden a visit! :)

With National Day around the corner, I happen to make an observation. 8 Days did a write up on how familiar Singaporeans are with our pledge and they went out to do a poll. Most of us, according to the poll, know the pledge, though there were a few who did not make the cut. I tried it myself... and after nine years of not reciting the pledge, I still managed to get it right! :) But I had a feeling that it would not be the last I would hear of the pledge issue. Therefore it did not come as a surprise to me today that this year's National Day celebration will have a section dedicated to reciting the pledge and that all radio stations' progammes will be affected as well. I do not know how well the public will respond to it or how many of us will actually recite the pledge in our homes but I do think that it is very interesting that the government is focusing on the pledge.

As a part of nation building, the pledge does play a very important role in terms of a nation's identity. And a lot of people do identify themselves as part of a nation when they espouse the qualities in their national pledge. Like democracy and freedom for US citizens. The pledge, if recited in mindless repetition, will remain what it is: just a paragraph of lofty words. Only if we understand and believe in the values present can we begin associating ourselves to the country. I think that it is interesting that the government is taking this step in nation building, not too in your face but at the same time, the focus on the pledge may make some of us take a second, better look at our pledge, which most of us have recited in school, during the mornings, when we are still half asleep or preoccupied with other stuff.

The weekend is finally here! After a hectic, crazy week, which I have tried to get more work done and cancelled on some dates (sorry peeps!), I keep to the bunch which drop a line from time to time and let me sort out my thoughts, and family which keep me grounded. This included my first tennis lesson with cuz JK, where the coach managed to teach me a lot, from the way to hit the ball to learning to some steps in getting the ball, all in the first lesson, yea! My ball was all over the place, but am glad tt with my hand-eye coordination I managed to get the ball over the net, though I kinda pity the nice guys who were playing at the court next to us. I think they were pretty nice about it, considering how often I interrupted their game. Some of my hits even went over the tall fence which separated the courts, yikes! Too much acceleration in the wrong direction, ha. But he felt that I had potential and was eager to teach me more... my right arm is kinda aching so we shall see. Quote of the evening from the tennis session, between JK and me: "Funny don't cure ugly." ;) But the session did help to relieve some tension.

A song which I really like and upon checking Wiki, realised that this was one of the Beatles' last song and that there was a lot of tension during the production of this song. How apt. ha. Was talking abt the Beatles with N during Mel's dinner as well and it reminded me of this movie Across the Universe, plot was kinda blah but the entire soundtrack of the movie consisted of Beatles songs... even some of the lines in the movie! An interesting concept. The video is a clip from the movie, Let it be was used as the background for the war and street violence aftermath scenes, where the world seems to have gone crazy and nothing makes sense anymore, and the only thing left is hope.

To a better August, with new beginnings and familar faces! :)


Let it be - The Beatles

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.

Let it be, let it be, .....

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me,
shine until tomorrow, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

Let it be, let it be, .....

2 comments:

Stevie said...

nice song!

Where there are people, there will be politics. :) I like how you are taking it all in your stride!

my said...

Meimin!

Dang I took intercultural already! I didn't know u were gonna teach culture industries as well, shud have taken that! Tell me what u're gonna teach next sem k!

Anyway, politics are inevitable, but being a nice person u always are, u can definitely get by this :) You're blessed by all of us!

Cheers,
Vanessa
(Class of AY0809 Sem 2 NM2219)