Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Black or white :: Rock my world

Since my last entry, within a span of two weeks, so much has happened. The passing of Michael Jackson on the 26th of June, as well as Roger Federer's epic match and ensuing triumph at Wimbledon which cemented him as the greatest tennis player of all time last weekend. On a personal front, lotsa stuff happening as well, am moving along for my thesis, coping with the bad news about my mum and some worrying stuff abt myself. Some close friends had to make some tough decisions and we made time to talk through some stuff.

Really busy on the social front as well, met up with some friends I've not met up in years like L and other friends like L, T, Y, S. doing new stuff with old friends, getting involved with a BFF's wedding prep for later this year. Am so excited!! All the meeting up with friends and celebrations over good food and drinks have taken its toll on me... I definitely have a visible bump now, argh. Will try to be more restrained when partaking the merriment.

After all the stuff these two weeks, it really struck me how life has its turns. No one expected the King of Pop to leave us in such a sudden manner. I've never been a fan of MJ but his music has accompanied me through my life. As a young gal, I loved songs by the Jackson Five and his works in the 80s... to some songs in the early 90s. From the slow songs such as Ben, You are not alone, Heal the world, The girl is mine, Man in the mirror, I'll be there, Childhood, to his fast number such as Bad, Thriller, Smooth Criminal, Black or white, Billie Jean and Blood on the dance floor. No matter the botched cosmetic surgeries, or child molestation allegations, where the victims have since come out to say that they were put up to it by their parents - with his passing, he was one of the greatest if not the greatest music artiste around. He revolutionised how music videos were made in his time, made mini movies and epitomised smooth moves on the dance floor. An artise in every sense and aspect of the word, he created a craft out of his music and was involved in his music. Music was his life and he deserves respect for that.

We have lost a music great this year and his loss will be felt for many years to come. I think that his music is one of the few to really cross countries and boundaries - from Japan to Russia to the States, he has fans everywhere. And he was one of the music greats who was socially conscious and espoused this in his music - Heal the world and The earth song for environmental conservation, Black or White and Man in the mirror for social issues.

Recently, I've a mix of friends who are going through highs and others, lows. Some work-related, others, personal issues. I've also met up with friends who are getting hitched, others meeting a new significant other, and other good news. Am also dealing with some news on my end. Am glad that my friends also practiced discretion when we met up. Not all showy but in their own subtle way, I understand and appreciate them taking time out for me and they know that I will do the same for them. I've got some interesting words from L the last weekend when we met up: "It's not about right or wrong, but rather, whether it is wise..." and my mum "Good people, bad people, we all live under the same sun." I think that things have changed a lot since the breakup last year, that maybe I have changed a lot, when it comes to handling relationships and other things in life. But the constant that remains are friends who are always there for me, looking out for me in their own way. Thanks peeps, you know who you are. :)

Will be talking to the freshmen tomorrow, meeting up with A and B later in the day, as well as working on my thesis - moving on to my methodology, yea! Counting the little victories to keep me going. Also, tennis lounging with the fab five over the weekend has got me intrigued with tennis... again, but am already working on my picking up something new... ha. But my thesis will remain my priority for this holiday! Can't believe that June was over so soon!

My perennial fav from MJ, also because I've a pet hammie of my own. :) MJ's first song when he broke away from the Jackson Five to go solo.


Michael Jackson (1958-2009) - Ben

Ben, the two of us need look no more
We both found what we were looking for
With a friend to call my own
I'll never be alone
And you, my friend, will see
You've got a friend in me
(you've got a friend in me)

Ben, you're always running here and there
You feel you're not wanted anywhere
If you ever look behind
And don't like what you find
There's one thing you should know
You've got a place to go
(you've got a place to go)

I used to say "I" and "me"
Now it's "us", now it's "we"
I used to say "I" and "me"
Now it's "us", now it's "we"
Ben, most people would turn you away
I don't listen to a word they say
They don't see you as I do
I wish they would try to
I'm sure they'd think again
If they had a friend like Ben
(a friend) Like Ben
(like Ben) Like Ben

No comments: