Friday, February 13, 2009

V Day is dead! :: Kiss the Girl

Have I mentioned that the level below my office which I have to pass by everyday has been V Day hell for the last two weeks and this week esp? While I applaud the entrepreneurial spirit of the students, part of me rolls my eyes and scurries along when I see the dangling red hearts and the heart-shaped arch on my way to the canteen.

While I love pressies and thoughtful gifts, I feel that V Day capitalises on the idea of romantic love and therefore me and my pals have decided to label 14 Feb "V Day is dead!" for the last couple of years. And I read with a certain amount of sagely nods articles about how Love is a chemical reaction in the brain which increases stress in men and women and also how V Day is actually a stressful time for couples. From my own experience, I have to agree with this obsrvation.

Anyway, this week has been an insanely busy week for me with team formations and thesis re-writes (again but am learning what I need to do so that's good!) and the first exam for the module. Which means Round 1 of grading and consolidation of grades. Where got time to think about V Day and what to do? But it's Fri (the 13th... do I sense some irony in this?) and time is slowly but surely running out and I'm stumped! What to do and what to get for JR? Without causing him bodily hurt (cooking for him or baking something is out of the question then) or getting him something that he needs/wants (Even I don't know what I need to get for myself given my own busy schedule!). Grrr.

So while I ponder on this, I think that V Day should be extended to not just romantic love, but also the love that exists in friendships, etc. So Happy V Day everyone! Be glad and enjoy the occassion if you are in a relationship but gather your friends and have a good time even if you are not in one. Or take the chance to ask that special person out if you have someone in mind... a Filipino colleague just shared with me how in the Philippines, there are university groups who will do live music dedications to girls at the request of guys who are interested in them but have yet to indicate their love professions... cool!



Kiss the girl - Colbie Caillat

There you see her
Sitting there across the way
She don’t got a lot to say
But there’s something about her
And you don’t know why
But you’re dying to try
You wanna kiss the girl

Yes, you want her
Look at her, you know you do
It’s possible she wants you, too
There is one way to ask her
It don’t take a word
Not a single word
Go on and kiss the girl

Sing with me now
Sha-la-la-la-la-la
My, oh, my
Look at the boy too shy
He ain’t gonna kiss the girl
Sha-la-la-la-la-la
Ain’t that sad
Ain’t it shame, too bad
You gonna miss the girl

Now’s your moment
Floating in a blue lagoon
Boy, you better do it soon
No time will be better
She don’t say a word
And she won’t say a word
Until you kiss the girl

Sha-la-la-la-la-la
Don’t be scared
You got the mood prepared
Go on and kiss the girl
Sha-la-la-la-la-la
Don’t stop now
Don’t try to hide it how
You wanna kiss the girl
Sha-la-la-la-la-la
Float along
Listen to the song
The song say kiss the girl
Sha-la-la-la-la-la
Music play
Do what the music say
You wanna kiss the girl

You’ve got to kiss the girl
Why don’t you kiss the girl
You gotta kiss the girl
Go on and kiss the girl

No comments: