Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Slumdog's the Dawg! :: Paper Planes.

This week has been so crazy with a packed V Day weekend (information on that privy to close friends and family only!). Suffice to say that I got a new baby - the gadget I've been lusting for since forever - in my fav colour! :) I began my week hitting the ground running for my thesis re-writes and work - I was amazed that I could make time for the movie, was q reluctant coz I wanted to work but work-life (or a farce of a life outside work, ha) balance MnM!

I mentioned to C that I might not be able to stay awake for the movie, having spent hours working on my thesis till the wee hours of Tues morning. But boy was I wrong! I entered the packed theatre with anticipation and spent the next two hours throughly entertained! C n S were as well! Slumdog Millionaire is by far one of the best movies I've watched. It has everything in it, life, love, loss, poverty, betrayal, redemption, luck, etc., which are the ingredients of an entertaining plot but add in the magic of Danny Boyle, and you have a winning formula.

*Spoilers ahead!*

Slumdog could have ended up being a melodramatic film or an angsty one, given that the backdrop for most of the film is featured in the slums. But while the stark poverty of the life as a child in the slum is present, joie de vivre is also present throughout the film and I think that this contributes a lot to how the movie has been accepted and embraced by the audience. I was touched to see kids playing on the airfield beside the slums, clothes all tattered and torn but having a ball of a time, literally. Even as the protagonist Jamal travels around India with his brother Salim, we can see the comadarie between siblings who are so different. The movie has a series of contrasts and even though it may not portray India in the best of light, we find it difficult to pass judgement on the boys as they steal, hitchhike and make their way around the best they can. Just no new shoes when visiting the Taj Mahal maybe.

For myself, the theme of hope stands out the most and I think hope is something that we can all do a little with these days. Jamal's hope of getting reunited with Latika, Salim's hope of a better life with more money, Latika's hope of getting together with Jamal for good, reminds me that hope is a precious thing to hold on to. And like the movie, sometimes we get what we hope for, sometimes we get what we hope for and then regret it and sometimes we just don't get what we hope for at all. Such is life. But we all need hope.

Besides the engaging storyline, laced with bittersweet irony as Jamal related for most of the movie how he got all the answers on the Indian version of Who wants to be a Millionaire correct. As it turns out, he got the answers (and the money) because of the lasting traumatic memories in his life and that he wasn't interested in the money to begin with but joined the show because he hopes the love of his life will watch the show and know that he is there waiting for her. The earnest Jamal, coupled with his streetkid attitude makes for a heartfelt performance as he related the tale of his life and reason as to why he joined the gameshow.

I came out of the theatre feeling... good! Not for the squalid living conditions of the kids in the slums, but glad that some stories have a happy ending. Btw, I totally enjoyed the OST for Slumdog Millionaire as well and the dance sequence at the end! :)




My fav song from the OST of Slumdog Millionaire

Paper Planes - M.I.A

[x2]
I fly like paper, get high like planes
If you catch me at the border I got visas in my name
If you come around here, I make 'em all day
I get one down in a second if you wait

[x2]
Sometimes I think sitting on trains
Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Everyone's a winner now we're making that fame
Bonafide hustler making my name

[x4]
All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG!)
And (KKKAAAA CHING!)
And take your money

[x2]
Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bongs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system

[x2]
No one on the corner has swagger like us
Hit me on my Burner prepaid wireless
We pack and deliver like UPS trucks
Already going hell just pumping that gas

[x4]
All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG!)
And (KKKAAAA CHING!)
And take your money

M.I.A.
Third world democracy
Yeah, I got more records than the K.G.B.
So, uh, no funny business

Some some some I some I murder
Some I some I let go
Some some some I some I murder
Some I some I let go

No comments: