Monday, February 23, 2009

“If a guy treats you like he doesn’t give a s---, it’s because he doesn’t give a s---.”



Decided on an evening of mindless entertainment to round off my week and to encourage myself for working over the weekend and missing a friend's wedding. It's just been one of those weeks of endless bad news so why not end the week on a light note? Chick flicks are one of my guilty pleasures and I've not had time to read anything other than my own research and readings.

I first noticed "He's Just Not That Into You" in Sex and the City, where the gals were trying to figure out why seemingly decent guys behave in such odd ways after their dates, like not calling when they said they would and not following up, etc. The conclusion: He's just not that into you. Which implies that we gals have to change our mindsets when it comes to relationships and dating. To stop making excuses for the guys (to make us feel better temporarily) and just accept that there are guys who are just not that into us, no matter how fabulous, how pretty and how witty or intelligent we are. And this sets the premise for the movie, which revolved around four inter-connected relationships, ala Love Actually.

I shan't give away spoilers for this movie, just that I think there will be parts of the movie which we can all relate to, guy or gal. I was seated in between a guy and a gal and I could totally observe their reactions, as well as my own, which was pretty interesting as evinced by the reactions of the rest in the theatre, the self-admission guilty laughs and this particular guy who sniggered loudly during certain scenes and provided some comic relief. Though I did relate to some of what the characters went through,the main protagonist, Gigi, whom I felt was borderline-stalkerish, did make some pretty accurate observations. One that I esp liked was how most gals hear stories from friends and this gives them hope when they are in bad relationships that they will end up like the exceptions they hear about when really, more often than not, we should take ourselves as the rule rather than the exception, even though we might be exceptional ladies.

There are little nuggets of astute insights though the movie does end predictably, like any chick flick or the chick lit which the movie was based on. I am glad that for myself, my friends and family already know how involved I get in my relationships and are usually the ones providing words of caution so that I won't be left hurting too much when a relationship has run its course.

Helps too that the cast was made up of some eye candy: for the guys there's Scarlett Johansson though I prefer Jennifer Anniston's character - Beth. ;) Had friends telling me that I seem more like the guys in the movie somehow... go watch and drop me a line if you agree! :)

Some of my fav quotes from the movie(from imdb.com):

Gigi: A girl will never forget the first boy she ever likes.
--------------------

Gigi
: We are all programmed to believe that if a guy acts like a total jerk that means he likes you.
----------------------

Beth: I just need you to stop being nice to me unless you are gonna marry me.
----------------------

Beth:
Am I... will I be Al Pacino in this scenario?
----------------------

Gigi:
How stupid is it that a girl has to wait for a guy's call anyway, right?
-----------------------
Mary
: I had this guy leave me a voicemail at work, so I called him at home, and then he emailed me to my BlackBerry, and so I texted to his cell, and now you just have to go around checking all these different portals just to get rejected by seven different technologies. It's exhausting.
-------------------------------
Gigi:
I would rather be like that, then be like you.
Alex:
Excuse me? What's that supposed to mean?
Gigi:
I may dissect each little thing and put myself out there so much but at least that means that I still care. Oh! You've think you won because women are expendable to you. You may not get hurt or make an ass of yourself that way but you don't fall in love that way either. You have not won. You're alone. I may do a lot of stupid shit but I'm still a lot closer to love than you are.
-------------------------------

Mary: He MySpaced me.
Nathan
: Ouch!
Mary:
Oh.
Joshua:
Oh girl I don't know about that... My trampy little sister says MySpace is the new booty call.
--------------------------------

Gigi:
I think I've figured it out. Remember when I went out with that notary public and he cheated on me and then Anastasia from upstairs told me about how her boyfriend cheated on her in the beginning then he totally changed and now they're married and crazy in love?
Beth
: I thought that guy was a process server.
Gigi:
No notary. Anyway my point is, Anastasia is the exception, not the rule. We have to stop listening to these stories because they rule is most guys who cheat on you up front don't really care about you very much.
Janine:
Ok.
Gigi: Ok, Ok. Exhibit A. Chad the drummer who lived in a storage space. He only used me for rides and yet I continued to stalk him for most of 1998. Then oh, um, there was Don, that broke up with me every Friday so that he could have his weekends free. I was delusional about that relationship. I used to refer to him as my husband to random people, like my dental hygienist. Anyway, all my friends used to tell me about how things might work out with these dipsticks because they knew someone, who knew someone, who dated a dipstick just like mine. That girl ended up getting married and living happily ever after. That the exception and we're not the exception we're the rule.
----------------------------

Alex: If a guy treats you like he doesn't give a sh*t, it's because he doesn't give a sh*t.
----------------------------
Alex: An excuse is a polite rejection. Men are not afraid of "ruining the friendship."
-----------------------------
Alex:
If you can find him, then he can find you. If he wants to find you, he will.
------------------------------
Alex: Men don't forget how much they like you, so put down the phone.
------------------------------
Alex:
You are good enough to be asked out.
Gigi:
Maybe his grandma died or maybe he lost my number or is out of town or got hit by a cab...
Alex:
Or maybe he is not interested in seeing you again.
-------------------------------

Gigi:
Hey sorry to bug you again! Uh quick question.
Alex:
What's going on?
Gigi:
Ok I'm making out with this guy, PG stuff. but he mentions he's going out of town so he's gonna be out of touch.
Alex:
Run.
Gigi:
But maybe he is going out of town.
Alex:
To where? New Guinea? Where's he gonna be that he's gonna be out of touch?
Gigi: Opens bathroom door - Where are you going out of town to again?
Gigi:
Pittsburgh
Alex
: Run.
Gigi:
So what now I'm just supposed to turn from every guy who doesn't like me?
Alex:
Uh. Yeah!
Gigi: There's not gonna be anybody left.

Alex
: If a guy doesn't call you, he doesn't want to call you.

----------------------------
Gigi:
Girls are taught a lot of stuff growing up. If a guy punches you he likes you. Never try to trim your own bangs and someday you will meet a wonderful guy and get your very own happy ending. Every movie we see, Every story we're told implores us to wait for it, the third act twist, the unexpected declaration of love, the exception to the rule. But sometimes we're so focused on finding our happy ending we don't learn how to read the signs. How to tell from the ones who want us and the ones who don't, the ones who will stay and the ones who will leave. And maybe a happy ending doesn't include a guy, maybe... it's you, on your own, picking up the pieces and starting over, freeing yourself up for something better in the future. Maybe the happy ending is... just... moving on. Or maybe the happy ending is this, knowing after all the unreturned phone calls, broken-hearts, through the blunders and misread signals, through all the pain and embarrassment you never gave up hope.

My fav song from the OST

2 comments:

DI__daydreamer said...

Hey Meimin :)

I really enjoyed your post ;) I felt a connection with this movie too. My favorite quotes are when Gigi says really upset "There's not gonna be anybody left!" it made me laught so loud :D and of course what she says at the end of the movie. Just a question though, can you tell me exactly what "PG stuff" means? I've looked it up on the web and I couldn't find a meaning that suited what Gigi meant when she was making out with the other guy. I'm portuguese so these shorts names are always unkown to me, lol.
Thanks ;) and keep posting ***

DI

Inx said...

Di, PG means Parental Guidance. It is used to rate/indicate movies that can be viewed by younsters if their parents permit them. So by "PG stuff" Gigi means that she is not making out with the guy sexually, but just kissing which is not explicit.

Inx