Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours.

Watched SATC for the second time with a good gal pal and her sis. I felt bad that she really wanted to watch this movie and waited so long to catch it with me - think this movie is ending its run soon. It was a different experience, watching it again, I noticed different stuff, the details made more sense and somehow I felt more detached from the relationship stuff. Guess it is a different experience when you watch it with the gals, esp gals who are there for the fashion stuff, lotsa "ooh"s and "ahh"s when the lovely couture came out in rapid succession. Ah, don't you just love product placement in a movie such as this? ;)

Anyways, I was wondering about the love letter which Beethoven wrote for his "Immortal beloved", part of which was quoted over and again in the movie. Here is that love letter in its entirety:

Letter 3

Good morning, on July 7

Though still in bed, my thoughts go out to you, my Immortal Beloved, now and then joyfully, then sadly, waiting to learn whether or not fate will hear us -
I can live only wholly with you or not at all -
Yes, I am resolved to wander so long away from you until I can fly to your arms and say that I am really at home with you, and can send my soul enwrapped in you into the land of spirits -
Yes, unhappily it must be so -
You will be the more contained since you know my fidelity to you. No one else can ever possess my heart - never - never -
Oh God, why must one be parted from one whom one so loves.
And yet my life in V is now a wretched life -
Your love makes me at once the happiest and the unhappiest of men -
At my age I need a steady, quiet life - can that be so in our connection?
My angel, I have just been told that the mailcoach goes every day - therefore I must close at once so that you may receive the letter at once -
Be calm, only by a calm consideration of our existence can we achieve our purpose to live together -
Be calm - love me - today - yesterday - what tearful longings for you - you - you - my life - my all - farewell.
Oh continue to love me - never misjudge the most faithful heart of your beloved.
ever thine
ever mine
ever ours

L


I really like the last two lines of this love letter. Very poignant lines written by only a guy feverishly in the throes of love can.

Friends have often commented on my cynical stance on relationships, which was partly why I could not relate to the romantic relationships in the SATC movie, but rather the friendships and bonds among the gals. I would like to think of cynics as realists hoping their cynical stance will be proven wrong somehow. Anywho, like what Carrie mentioned in the movie, "It wasn't logic, it was love."


After seeing wedding gowns from names like Dior, Vivienne Westwood, Vera Wang, Lavin, etc., who wouldn't be tempted to walk down the aisle just for the sake of adorning such pretty dresses? ;)

1 comment:

Anyta said...

hey babe! how are u doing?? i decided to check out yr blog after reading navigating thru ur profile in facebook.

Well in case u'r thinkin its fun planning for a wedding.. trust me, it's not! hahaha! and i cant wait for it all to be over. =)

we shud catch up soon.

luv, anita